Q&A : Strategies & The Game Mechanics That Make Them Work

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Q&A : Strategies & The Game Mechanics That Make Them Work

The best instructors are those whose instructions come from remembering what it's like to not know or be familiar with things. I'm not a complete dim-wit so, hopefully, my questions and observations won't be too lame.

I'm in my 2nd game. My first, as Castille, saw Portugal take over 2/3 of my country within the first 12 hrs. using about 10-12 Lt.Cav. and 6-8 Lt. Inf. I have no clue what happened. It was pretty much over in 18 hrs. Not a lot of 'learning' occurred for me.

In my 2nd game I think I'm catching on.

Administrators are needed to raise the morale of captured provinces. They are produced only in one's Capital until one has researched "University" (via Economy tab) and built an University in another province. Therefore, if one is going to need Administrators early, one shouldn't be building military units in his Capital.

Apparently, one can only have two Administrators at a time (unless one researches an increase in the Cap on Administrators) and this "time" includes the time the Administrator is re-establishing a government in the captured province. So, once one has two (2) Administrators perhaps a military unit can be produced in the Capital while the Administrators are traveling to and spending time re-establishing a government in the newly acquired province. An Administrator, alone but in the process of re-establishing a government, is not enough to eliminate all possibility of a revolt.

A newly acquired province seems to remain at 25% and not produce anything until a government is re-established. Mine have been at 25% for a couple days now while I waited for a military unit to be made in my Capital and, therefore, couldn't produce an Administrator.

Resource Production = Food, Raw Materials, Minerals, Goods, Luxury Goods
      Income = Manpower, Money

When trying to raise something, by constructing a building, note if the building raises "Resource Production" or "Income".

Research - It seems there are a lot more things that require research in NWE than in Call of War (CoW) or Supremacy1914 (S1914): Unit Caps, Buildings, specialized Units (from the Economy and Colonization Research tabs).

If I wrote something that is, in some way, an error, please, let me (us) know.
    • I'm in Day 7 now. My Market Tab - Resource Bar looks like this:

Market Tab - Resource Bar

I haven't been concerned about being efficient or optimal play but, rather, memorizing the process (procedure) for:
      - exploration
      - conquest and making the newly conquered territory productive
      - understanding the relationships among the various "Buffs & Civilians" (for the various research tabs: Warfare, Economy, Colonization) and what requires an Administrator and what doesn't.

Exploration:

I wasted some time (a day or two) not recognizing that my Explorer was revealing the coastline of a landmass. Surprise!

I wasn't noticing the coastline because, when zoomed all the way out (it's easier to find my explorer zoomed-out and no reason to zoom-in once he's found), it appears as any unexplored sea area. Had I zoomed-in I would have noticed the difference between unexplored ocean and unexplored land.

There's no colour change or shading to indicate "land". I expected the land to have a green-shaded border where it "touched" the sea. I see now that unexplored Sea has (Mc)Squiggley lines and unexplored Land doesn't.

Unexplored Areas When Zoomed Out

Core Province Development:

My country started with a (-) Food/hr. so my first concern was to make that (+)Food/hr. [See "Resource Production" in Post #1].

After buying some Food from the Market, I took a look at which Buildings increase Food production, what uses Food for Upkeep, and what nearby food-producing Provinces could be captured.

Day 1: built 4 Barracks (use them continuously to produce military units); combined starting military for best odds; attacked adjacent Food province
      Day 2: lost captured Food province to revolt while troops captured defender's Capital, re-took Food province, built 5 Markets in Core Provinces.
      Day 3: attacked 2nd defender and captured his/its capital, built 2 Workshops (in non-Food Core Provinces) and 2 Harbours (in Food Core Provinces) [See "Resource Production" in Post #1], and Re-Established Gov't in previous day's conquests.
      Day 4: attacked 3rd defender's one and only Province (his Capital), bult 3 Markets and 4 Harbours in Core Provinces.

By Day 4 or 5, I was starting to get a rhythm of what to do on the map but I was still stumbling over what to research and when certain things should be researched. The use of Administrators to unlock/enable research and raise the various types of Caps remained unclear to me.

This is what my country looks like on Day 7:

Denmark Day 7
    • DISCLAIMER:
      This post is off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts about what I think I know. If you're new and looking for "how-to" don't consider this post to be accurate (it probably isn't). I'm posting this to reveal, to the developers, what mistakes I might be making, what I do understand correctly, and why or what (if anything) could/should be changed (if anything) to make things clearer. I do not expect a reply from anyone. My mistakes are my own and not indicative of anything "wrong" with the game.

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE FIRST FEW DAYS:

- It was probably an efficiency mistake to build a Barracks in my Capital (as the +25% Manpower wasn't needed). Military Units take too long to produce and prevent the (almost necessarily) continuous production of Civilians (Administrators, Explorers, and Colonists).

- it was a mistake to use up both Research slots, at the same time, researching Military Units and/or Building types, as one Research slot is almost always needed for researching a Cap Increase that allows Administrators, Explorers, Colonists, and etc. (I think there was some things else but don't recall).

- There seems to be a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for conquest of each Province:

1) Preparation:
      a) gathering military for best odds,
      b) having an Administrator nearby to Re-Establish Government after province capture,
      c) having another (2nd) Administrator on his way to Incorporate Province (make it a Core Province),
      d) having another (3rd) Administrator on his way to increase the level of the Province (if necessary)

2) Attack (duh)

3) Garrison and move 1st Administrator into captured town to begin 12 hr.-long Re-Establishment of Government (keep garrison there until Gov't is Re-Established)

4) Move 2nd Administrator into captured town to begin 48 hr.(?)-long process to Incorporate Province (make it a Core Province) BTW, the garrison can leave now that the Provincial Morale rose due to the Re-Establishment of a Government.

5) [See #1 "Preparation"]

Suggestions (to myself & other players):

1) raise the Administrator CAP a.s.a.p. as having a max. of just 2 isn't enough for a campaign of conquest. An Administrator on the map counts until whatever he is doing is done. That means he is counted against the CAP once one starts production of him, while he travels to the captured province, and is in the process of Re-Establishing a Government or Incorporating the Province (making it a Core Province). All this can take 3-4 days (if the captured province is near ones Capital) or longer (if it isn't).

2) A captured Province (25% Morale) has 2 Building lots but they're not productive until the Gov't is Re-Established. Making a Province a Core Province (and increasing its level) should be considered a priority of sorts in order to increase the Province's number of Building lots. This will require a "train" of Administrators to that Province.

3) If Exploration is an option, start it relatively early (once your military Research and CAPS have been addressed). It looks like Explorers and anything to do with Colonization is centered on ones Capital and the Colonization Research Tab. I'm just getting into that now (on Day 7).

The post was edited 2 times, last by I Patton ().

• I have a colonization question in Q&A :colony difficulty vs resource production

Day 9

Firstly, I'm finding NWE is wonderfully designed in regards to...I'd call them "nested windows"...when one opens a pop-up and clicks on the "i" button (or something else) to open another, within the first. I'm finding these "triggers" (the button one presses) very intuitively located and the information given seems more comprehensive and helpful than the other games (not that they are "bad"; just that NWE is better).

Captured Old World Provinces (OWP):

When the game started I'd capture an Old World Province (OWP) and obviously want to Re-Establish Government and then make it a Core Province.

But with the CAP in producing Administrators and having several captured OWPs to develop, which takes time, I started thinking about how to prioritize which captured OWPs to develop first?

- those that border another realm/country and, in which, provincial morale might have an impact (on me or them)?
      - those with the highest level?
      - those with the resources I need most?
      - those with the (damaged) buildings I need most?

I think this might be one of those things one could argue one way or another and have it come down to "it depends". Experience and becoming more familiar with certain strategies might be required to answer this one.

For the time being, I decided to prioritize OWP development with the highest level first, garrisoning those along borders/sea zones, and ignore what resource or buildings the province has.

I figure I could sell, on the Market, abundance in resources and buy what I might need, while I wait for the Administrators to develop the OWPs that have the resources I need. Resources aren't an issue and I'd rather have as many higher level OWPs working for me, a.s.a.p., than anything else both for the building lots and the productivity of resource development. This pre-empts the urgency and necessity of developing my starting Core Provinces.
    • I'm a bit confused about the Colonial Office.

Colonial Office

It can be built in one's starting Core Province but the description states: "...nations developed colonial offices to recruit troops especially suited for their [the colony's] defense." Colonial Troops are different than Regular Troops or Mercenary Troops.

I would expect/imagine Colonial Troops are recruited from the colonial population only (as their experience in the New World colony would make them "especially suitable for their defense") and Regular and Mercenary Troops to be recruited from Old World Provinces (OWPs) only.

Maybe there's another way to imagine this or, maybe, it's just a coding issue of distinguishing between New World and Old World.
    • Nice idea, but the game is for beginners complicate enough and the manpower in the colonies is too less. So I would level up my province and thn I would build barracks.
      „Berûche mich, getrûwir got:
      Der vatir sende mir dî macht,
      daz iz werde vollinbrâcht,
      des ich hî gedenke ;
      des sunis wîsheit lenke
      mîne cranken sinne,

Nikolaus von Jeroschin (1290-1341) Kaplan d. Hochmeisters d. Dt. Ordens
    • Seele07 wrote:

Nice idea, but the game is for beginners complicate enough and the manpower in the colonies is too less. So I would level up my province and thn I would build barracks.
      The manpower in colonies is combined with the manpower generated in Europe, correct? If so, then the manpower generated in the colonies (being low) is irrelevant, isn't it?

I'm asking why the Colonial Office would be built in Europe and not limited to just the New World. Why would there be a building in Europe that produces units best suited for use in the New World?

As for coding the restriction, I wonder if New World provinces can be given a unique characteristic similar to what coastal provinces have that permit the Harbour.
    • right now it looks like infantry spam tactic is the best win a game

we research markets, colonial inf + cavs ( cavs only for speed and attacking arties), we upgrade military caps and admin cap and then we spam map with o ur units

explorers find enemy army stacks or enemy colonies helping us spy on our opponents
      then we strike with superiority numbers and power

colonies are taken over easily as it takes a lot of time to build there army
      having colonial troops gives you advantage in numbers and power
      and they are much faster produce
      youcan also cover more conquered provinces with garnisons

so yeah - colonial troops spam and a horde of admins
      Panta Rhei

Make love, not war
    • Lately, I've been focusing on the mechanics and strategies of Colonization.

Aside from my slight confusion about unexplored land vs unexplored sea (see Post #3), [caused by poor eyesight and not seeing the distinction between the (Mc)Squiggley lines when zoomed all the way out on the map], I really don't see anything that's not clear or straightforward about the mechanics of Exploration or Colonization.

As has been discussed in another thread, I'm not exactly clear why Exploration and Colonization would be a particularly "driving force" vs. waging war and conquest (both on the Continent and in the New World). I'm not saying that "driving force" is lacking; it's just that I haven't looked at the cost to benefit analysis of the process.

I would, however, like to see the ability to "Add Target" for Exploration.

- I've thought about how this might impact the game, balancing, etc. and don't foresee that it would do anything since it's just revealing territory. - As far as anyone using the Explorer to reveal enemy territory, Fog of War (FoW) and Line of Sight (LoS) rules prevent any advantage to exploring already settled territory while one is offline.
    • Ok, this is going to be a "duh" revealing post but I have to make it. With so many new things to look at, I missed the obvious, lol. In the attached screenshot I show how the Provincial Management tab is nicely designed to indicate which Provinces are Core, Non-Core (with the Government Re-Established), Non-Core/Occupied (with Government NOT Re-Established).

Until recently I was clicking on those Provinces with the striped shading and then clicking on the Construction or Production boxes to see if I could build anything. Doing this was a bit lame, on my part, since the Provincial Management tab is actually quite nice in revealing Provincial status.

Province Management Screenshot

The only (ever so slightly annoying) thing I find myself doing is toggling between the Provincial Management tab and the map to see the Morale of the province.

I don't know how it could be done or if it could be done, but it would be really nice to see the Province's Morale from the Provincial Management tab.

If I have the resources to build just one Harbour or one Workshop, want to do so in a Province that makes a particular resource (most likely Goods), then I'd want to build it in the better (Goods) producing Province. If I have two (Goods-producing) provinces that produce about the same: #1 = 1,400 @ 80% Morale and #2 = 1,300 @ 40% Morale; I would prefer building in Province #2 but would only know that by knowing the Morale; not the current production level.
    • Inactive units indicated in the Resource Bar (at Market Tab).

I forget to mention this days ago. At first, I didn't realize what the number in the circle (under Explorer, Administrator, and Colonist box in Resource Bar/Market Tab) meant.

Originally, I thought the circled number represented vacant spots available or total number of spots taken. It's neither. It's an indication of inactive units on the map.

Inactive Explorer, Administrator, Colonist screenshot
    • This thread would help many users, good job @I Patton

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C.,after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • I Patton wrote:

Inactive units indicated in the Resource Bar (at Market Tab).

I forget to mention this days ago. At first, I didn't realize what the number in the circle (under Explorer, Administrator, and Colonist box in Resource Bar/Market Tab) meant.

Originally, I thought the circled number represented vacant spots available or total number of spots taken. It's neither. It's an indication of inactive units on the map.

Inactive Explorer, Administrator, Colonist screenshot
      Oh, BTW, if one clicks on the Explorer, Administrator, or Colonist box (located in the Resource Bar) it will do one of two things:

1) center the map on one's Capital (where more can be produced), or (if one clicks a 2nd time)...
      2) center the map on one of the inactive units (so one can give it an order)

This is a really "nifty" feature!
    • I Patton wrote:

Oh, BTW, if one clicks on the Explorer, Administrator, or Colonist box (located in the Resource Bar) it will do one of two things:

1) center the map on one's Capital (where more can be produced), or (if one clicks a 2nd time)...
      2) center the map on one of the inactive units (so one can give it an order)

This is a really "nifty" feature!
      Thanks for the information!

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C.,after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • Day 11 Netherlands i have 15 colonies ,and 69 provinces total in my first game . Light infantry and administrators is the key .Next 2 days will decide the game .Possible victory in 25days time(30% now) .I have no ships,horses,mercenaries,markets and other bs. Game is unbalanced ,but my only concern is a real player navy intercepting my colonists .Taking the Aztec 9 provinces will garranty my victory i suppose . Game is somehow limited .Wish they start like Civilization from Stone age and move into the Digital era .
    • After New rebalancing we need new strategies

From what I heard from my friends:

Because of the changes in research tree reguar troops are no longer good option for the whole game as around middle you need to change to modern troops

Colonial troops are cheaper stranger and faster to build plus get upgrades till the end of research era so are the best option for my friends

What do you think?
      Panta Rhei

Make love, not war