Role of the navy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Role of the navy

Please correct me if I am wrong or missing an aspect here...

Civil units such as the colonist or admin can go through the provinces of other nations. No special diplomacy agreement is required. This means that as playing as Morocco for example, control of the straight at Gibraltar has little meaning. Once in the "new" world, I would be free to explore and grow colonies. With luck, build a colonial office then a military.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I just don't understand the importance of a naval.
    • I build a navy and blockade your Core Provinces, as well as, your colonies in the hopes of killing any Administrators you try to send, in an attempt to prevent you from improving the level of your colony.

Meanwhile, my Core provinces are building a military to invade your colony and take it.

As this is happening, your colony(ies) are relying on their Colonial Offices and Fortifications for all their military defenses.

You can't send troops from your Core to the colony. You can't send troops from your Core to attack my Core (because I wouldn't do this if there were a land route between our Cores).

I start spamming Administrators to Re-Establish Government, etc. in your colony(ies) that will soon be mine.
    • Ripple wrote:

Admins can freely travel through other nations. All that is required is moving up the coast a couple of provinces before enbarking.

I fully understand what you are saying, and agree it should work that way, but with admins and explorers having the ability to move around like they do, I am not sure it does.
      Yes, Admins can freely travel through other nations [with which you're not at war]. But, because you don't bother with explorers (as per the other thread) you can't disembark in the New World because you didn't explore it yet and Admins can't travel through unexplored regions. Which raises the question, How did you come to get that colony? So, for you, one who doesn't bother with explorers or navies, the game should be rather simple.
    • Wow, I didn't realize questioning a game mechanic in a different thread would have anything whatsoever to do with game play style, or a question in a different thread.

If the only purpose of having a navy in the game is to try to stop the flow of admin moving, something needs to be add/changed to expand on their significance. Others have suggested things such as range attack or the ability to blockade. Perhaps some of these other suggestions are something to be looked at more closely and developed over time?
    • With a navy you can stop every enemy unit. With a light ship you can kill many embarked land units. Also there a very few points in the sea. So you need not many ships to control. If you has a good navy you can blocked a other player and you have the possibility to attack him over the sea on different points, so he can not so good defend.
      „Berûche mich, getrûwir got:
      Der vatir sende mir dî macht,
      daz iz werde vollinbrâcht,
      des ich hî gedenke ;
      des sunis wîsheit lenke
      mîne cranken sinne,

Nikolaus von Jeroschin (1290-1341) Kaplan d. Hochmeisters d. Dt. Ordens
    • Ripple wrote:

Wow, I didn't realize questioning a game mechanic in a different thread would have anything whatsoever to do with game play style, or a question in a different thread.

If the only purpose of having a navy in the game is to try to stop the flow of admin moving, something needs to be add/changed to expand on their significance. Others have suggested things such as range attack or the ability to blockade. Perhaps some of these other suggestions are something to be looked at more closely and developed over time?
      Oh sure. Everything everyone posts can be taken together to derive a sense of the poster's overall intent and tone in using the forums.

I think post #2 outlines all the uses of a navy. If you don't think it's sufficient cause; don't build a navy and advocate for a change in the game...or not. Whatever makes you happy.