Endless war: No provinces left but war goes on

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Endless war: No provinces left but war goes on

I am still at war with a AI country but I cannot find a single province that this country still controls so I am still taking a morale hit in spite of there being no provinces left to conquer. I have installed govts in each of the conquered provinces that I control. Another player controls the rest of the country and it looks like he installed govts because the morale is >25 in all those provinces. In order for the country to disappear so that it no longer shows that I am at war with it, do I need to core all the provinces? There is more than one conquered province between the two of us that is not cored but the diplomacy screen says he has only one province so I would think that is not it. I set my relation to peace several days ago and it is my understanding that after a few days the opponent will end the war but that doesnt look like it is happening.

uid=6059005&gameID=1614947
    • Well, I set my relation to peace so shouldnt he be offerring peace as well after a certain number of days? Do you know how many days it takes to get someone to accept peace? Does it vary or is there a set number of hours after you set to peace that your opponent will do the same? Or will I need to explore the world looking for his single tiny colony and destroy it so that I can get rid of the hit to my morale (if that is the case that is something that really ought to be changed)?
    • I don't know - but I think for a Neutral to change to peace they have to have a capital (rebuilt if original taken). Colony can't do that. Disclaimer (this is speculation based on experience - I have a similar situation - conquered the main country and war does not end - so I founded a colony next to his and built a colonial office so I can build troops - the AI is building a fortress in that colony.
    • Check the diplomacy screen - sort by "their relation", first click on "their relation" gives allies on top, second click gives enemies on top - check how many provinces the diplo screen says your enemy has left. Is it really 0 ?

Normal (non-Elite) AI accepts peace quite soon if you have stopped killing their troops, one or two days might be enough.
    • Hello haywoodjb,

To get rid of the war penalty of -5% wit the AI country two things need to have been done;

1. Destoy ALL enemy forces.
      2. Your enemy has ALL his land gone
      Both of these need to have been met to effectivly kill off the AI.

Also when you set your AI relation to peace it can take some time for the AI to change theirs with you to peace. It could take 3,5,7, etc days or as I have found it might not but once you destoy all its units and it has no land the penalty should be gone

All the best
      Have fun playing!
      Dr. Leipreachán
      NWE Community Coordinator

Feel free to check these guides;
      NWE Combat System
      NWE FAQ
      A Quick Start Guide
    • Thanks. I did set to peace and it was eventually accepted. It did take a little longer than I wanted. It would be nice to know if there are specific factors that determine when peace will be accepted after setting your relation to peace.

Could you confirm as well that when a player goes inactive (appears as circle in diplomacy screen) that the AI is managing that country at that point? In another game I set my relation to peace and it seemed to take a very long time (less than the seven days you say it could take) so I decided to take the rest of his provinces rather than wait. I would suggest that the AI be more prompt in accepting peace so that it isnt a better option for the human player to entirely wipe out the nation. I enjoy a more subtle game when it comes to warfare (take your opponent apart in small chunks) where the mechanics of the game seem to discourage that style.
    • haywoodjb wrote:

Thanks. I did set to peace and it was eventually accepted. It did take a little longer than I wanted. It would be nice to know if there are specific factors that determine when peace will be accepted after setting your relation to peace.

Could you confirm as well that when a player goes inactive (appears as circle in diplomacy screen) that the AI is managing that country at that point?
      Don't be confused by the term "Artificial Intelligence" - the AIs do not act as rational agents following a meaningful strategy. They're not like chess AIs. Most of the time, they have their list of possible, not-too-studip actions, and pick the action to perform totally by random. When you declare war on them, you put "randomly attacking your provinces" on their list. When you set to peace, you put "eventually accepting peace" on their list. When you set Right of Way, you put "eventually also granting RoW" on the list. But every action you put on the list still competes with "randomly building useless building", "randomly recruiting units" and "randomly researching" for the favor of the electronic dice. so, the time it needs to get out of war is essentially random, just like the time for a radioactive atom to decay - you can perhaps give a half-probability time, but if you're unlucky, the random number generator is just not in your favor.
    • Behrend wrote:

haywoodjb wrote:

Thanks. I did set to peace and it was eventually accepted. It did take a little longer than I wanted. It would be nice to know if there are specific factors that determine when peace will be accepted after setting your relation to peace.

Could you confirm as well that when a player goes inactive (appears as circle in diplomacy screen) that the AI is managing that country at that point?
      Don't be confused by the term "Artificial Intelligence" - the AIs do not act as rational agents following a meaningful strategy. They're not like chess AIs. Most of the time, they have their list of possible, not-too-studip actions, and pick the action to perform totally by random. When you declare war on them, you put "randomly attacking your provinces" on their list. When you set to peace, you put "eventually accepting peace" on their list. When you set Right of Way, you put "eventually also granting RoW" on the list. But every action you put on the list still competes with "randomly building useless building", "randomly recruiting units" and "randomly researching" for the favor of the electronic dice. so, the time it needs to get out of war is essentially random, just like the time for a radioactive atom to decay - you can perhaps give a half-probability time, but if you're unlucky, the random number generator is just not in your favor

Even if the decision is the result of a random number, the decision is determined by a function which includes one or more factors where each factor is weighted where one can determine the probability of peace being accepted in a decision cycle. I wold like to know more about those factors and how they are weighted and the interval of the decision cycle. I dont need specific values for the weights but it would be nice to have something directional.