The Balance of Power

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Balance of Power

The Balance of Power
      A "Ducat Free Premium Round"

Looking for players who are interested in a long term diplomatic intensive game.

Myself and Wolvershin have been talking at length on how to create a style of game that is more to our liking. Hopefully we will attract like minded individuals. These are our ideas so far:

1) Ducat Free - This type of game seems to be gaining popularity. We are not entirely against ducats (Bytro needs to make money afterall.) However, we feel that a ducat free game is more likely to result in a game where more players feel that they have a chance and stay interested in the game long term.

2) Premium Game - It may seem contrary to being ducat free, but we want players who are "invested" in the game. Also, we acknowledge that Bytro probably isn't too crazy about the trend of ducat free games. We also desire to use some of the premium features like elite AI.

3) Required Player Rank 2 - At the risk of seeming "snobbish" we want this to be a requirement. Check the list of players in any game and you will see a significant number of level one players with 0% progress toward level 2 who are inactive. We just want to see some sign of commitment to the game rather than players who join on a whim and then decide that the game is not for them.

4) Non Aggression Limits - 5/2 days for no attacks on players/AI respectively. This will hopefully encourage some early development and slow down the rapid "land grab" style of play.

5) 15 Players, Country Assignment by Choice - We feel it necessary to give players room to grow. We also would like to encourage players to spread out a bit and not bump into each other too early in the game.

There are some other ideas for new games being tossed around.

Some, including myself, are interested in using the random new world map. Right now, there seems to be some issues with that, or that it is not accessible unless you are a Frontline Pioneer. Whatever the case, we may have to pass on that for now.

Also, Captain Crook is promoting what I call a "Coalition" rule to help contain players that are winning by a large margin. I will encourage him to explain the details of that here so that it is done properly. It is certainly worth a look.

Possibly there are other ideas out there. We have had others that did not make the list. I, for one, feel the need to keep the list of special rules as short as possible. Trying to "over legislate" tends to make folks resistant or even rebellious. I am hopeful that we can find like minded players that will at least try to abide by the "spirit" of the rules we agree on even if there are oversights that can be exploited.

The game has not yet been created. For now, we are simply trying to find interested players and start some discussion before we proceed. Please respond to this thread if you are interested or have comments.
    • Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

1) Ducat Free - This type of game seems to be gaining popularity. We are not entirely against ducats (Bytro needs to make money afterall.) However, we feel that a ducat free game is more likely to result in a game where more players feel that they have a chance and stay interested in the game long term.
      Not going to happen, Bytro needs money to excist and without Bytro, this game does not excist.

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

2) Premium Game - It may seem contrary to being ducat free, but we want players who are "invested" in the game. Also, we acknowledge that Bytro probably isn't too crazy about the trend of ducat free games. We also desire to use some of the premium features like elite AI.
      Premium features are also part of the system to make money for Bytro, so....

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

3) Required Player Rank 2 - At the risk of seeming "snobbish" we want this to be a requirement. Check the list of players in any game and you will see a significant number of level one players with 0% progress toward level 2 who are inactive. We just want to see some sign of commitment to the game rather than players who join on a whim and then decide that the game is not for them.
      This is a legitimate option. In Supremacy 1914, there is an option when you make a new game, where you can choose the minimal level required. Making it only accessable for players who are that level or higher.

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

4) Non Aggression Limits - 5/2 days for no attacks on players/AI respectively. This will hopefully encourage some early development and slow down the rapid "land grab" style of play.
      It already excists it is called Peace Period, you have to open Advanced Options for it when you make a new game.

Picture Advanced Options

You can make a thread on the same forum part as you made this thread. Just make a post about the type of game you want to do, let people sign up on the forum. Write out the gameplan, name the countries people can choose out, first person to claim a nation is the person who get´s it, etc, etc. You can fill in the rest.

Furthermore, you can change the number op persons who can join when you make a game and you can keep control about who joins a game by putting a password on it when you make it. Just send the password and country the players have chosen to them by PM after you made the game. Also, make sure the game starts after everyone joined, which is also an option when you make a game.

Edit: Make sure you keep all the posts and messages you exchanged with the players. If someone decided to blatently disregard the rules you set beforehand (which they automatically agreed to when they entered your gamenumber) or the changes you made to the rules after the game started, you can ask NWE support to ban or remove that player or if you need to exchange a player midgame, you can also ask a NWE support to provide that service for you.

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

Some, including myself, are interested in using the random new world map. Right now, there seems to be some issues with that, or that it is not accessible unless you are a Frontline Pioneer. Whatever the case, we may have to pass on that for now.
      Just join the Frontline Pioneer group or just wait a bit longer, since the Frontline Pioneers are mainly there to find buggs and other issues before the map goes mainstream.

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

Also, Captain Crook is promoting what I call a "Coalition" rule to help contain players that are winning by a large margin. I will encourage him to explain the details of that here so that it is done properly. It is certainly worth a look.
      A Coalition is like the Team System that is already available, although the Teams are made before the game even starts, where as the Coalitions are only able to be made ingame. Also a big difference is that you can step out of a Coaltion, where as that is not possible with the Teams.

Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

Trying to "over legislate" tends to make folks resistant or even rebellious. I am hopeful that we can find like minded players that will at least try to abide by the "spirit" of the rules we agree on even if there are oversights that can be exploited.
      If rules are not clear enough, people tend to look for loopholes, which makes things usually even worse then when the rules are being more inclusive and lengthy.
      I use this picture as my Avatar cause it´s just too cute... :P

The post was edited 2 times, last by ivyspine ().

• Just to clarify:

"Ducat Free" would mean no ducat spending in game. There are a number of "gold free" rounds where players agree to not spend ducats during the game.

"Premium Round" means that you either have to be an Admiralty member or pay 5000 ducats to join.

So, there would be some ducats or real world money spent to start the game.

JF

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jeffrey Fletcher ().

• I do get that, but Bytro will not make it possible to start games which exclude the usage of Ducats.

The only games I ever played on a Bytro game which did not have the possibility to use the premium currency were part of a tournament which was held by Bytro itself.

But even that was a real exception, because nearly all tournaments that Bytro organizes do not exclude the usage of the premium currency. Which is basically why these tournaments are even provided, to give the game a big impulse and incentive for buying the premium currency.

Which is awesome in my opinion, because it makes it possible for players like me who are not able to spend money on this game, even if I wanted to... to play this game.
    • I see that you have been busy Mr. Fletcher. Great post!

You already know that I'm in, but lets make it official. I would prefer either France or Mamluk, but I'm willing to try other nations in the spirit of balance.

Ivyspine, I feel you may be unclear on the purpose of the post. This is a game round invitation, and not a manifesto on how we would like to see the game changed. Jeffrey is simply listing the rules set we wish to implement for our first Balance of Power round. Does your thoughtful post mean that you are interested in being one of the first signups?

While we know that we cannot physically enforce the no ducat rule, we expect that everyone will keep in mind this is but the first of what we hope will be many Balance of Power game rounds.

This game will be password protected, so please indicate your interest to play right here.
    • It was indeed not very clear.

In my opinion that is because the TO made it look a manifesto to get changes done to the way the game itself works, not that he was promoting a game in itself to be played.

But, as I said also, make a list of the countries that are playable.

And I will see if I´m interested enough to join.

Do note that I already have 10 active games, which makes it something I have to think about if I were to agree on joining.
    • ivyspine wrote:

I do get that, but Bytro will not make it possible to start games which exclude the usage of Ducats.
      Not necessarily. Players make such games as these all the time. :)
      Former New World Empires Main Administrator
      Call of War Community Coordinator / Main Administrator
      Thirty Kingdoms Senior Game Operator
      Bytro Labs | EN Community Support
      Click here for NWE Tutorial Videos!

And here for the Manual!
    • Welcome one and all to the first round of what we hope will lead to an ongoing series of Balance of Power rounds.

Balance of Power, Game # 1689870 has begun.
      There are currently 6 players, with space for 9 more.

As stated in the description of the game we are striving for a ducat free round, which should lead to a longer, more invested play style. We obviously cannot enforce this, but hope that by joining you all agree.

We have kept this first Balance of Power round light on rules. If you have any ideas on how you would like to see the next round develop, please post right here or in the daily newspaper.

Invite your friends, role play if you wish, and have fun!

There is no restriction on what country you select, but please space yourselves out.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Michael Wolvershin ().

• Anxiety grips the hearts of millions in the capital cities of Europe and North Africa. At the stroke of Day Change today the Peace Period Treaty, which has heretofore granted protection to all minor nations, expires. Will the major nations take advantage? Join and see...

Balance of Power
      Game # 1689870

Seven active players. Eight major nations remaining.

Prepare for a long term, ducat free Premium round with elite AI, and bring your imagination.
      Role play or not, the choice be yours.
    • I've been asked for a list of playable nations. Well, all the major nations are playable so here is a list of what has been chosen so far:

England
      France [Me]
      Burgundy
      Netherlands
      Brandenburg
      Novgorod
      Venice
      Hejaz

In typical fashion we have bunched up /sigh
      There are still 2.5 days until players may attack each other, and plenty of isolated regions looking for a dedicated ruler.

Vive la France!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Michael Wolvershin ().

• Michael Wolvershin wrote:

I've been asked for a list of playable nations. Well, all the major nations are playable so here is a list of what has been chosen so far:

England
      France [Me]
      Burgundy
      Netherlands
      Brandenburg
      Novgorod
      Venice
      Hejaz

In typical fashion we have bunched up /sigh
      There are still 2.5 days until players may attack each other, and plenty of isolated regions looking for a dedicated ruler.

Vive la France!
      As Prince of Novgorod, I refuse to accept that 'we' have bunched up.
      I do not shirk from facing the frozen tundra, and wastelands of the north.
      However we are still seeking brave souls to join the plunder of new and unclaimed lands.
      There will be plenty of time for more enriched action against seasoned opponents as this world progresses.
      :evil:

Prince Deaf_Eye_Ant of Novgorod (and the formerly Muscovian wastelands).
      I am Deaf_Eye_Ant (Say it quickly ...lol). Greetings from the land downunder.
    • I believe that the restriction on attacking other human players will be lifted at the end of the current day (about 2.5 hours.) I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but you never know ;)

The game is in day 6, going on 7, but looking around the map I see some rather large areas that are vacant. There is currently no one in Spain, but it does seem that there might be some competition for a player wanting to colonize the African coast. The vacancy I find most interesting if I were thinking on joining would be the Ottomans. The closest human players are in Hejaz and Venice (I fear that Venice may go inactive soon.) Interestingly enough, the Ottoman has a colony on the Mamluke border. It might be interesting to jump in there (hopefully I'm not upsetting any current player's plans with these suggestions.)

Anyway, overall it seems that most of the current players are pursuing a development strategy. Some have made some significant gains in territory, but nothing too drastic I don't think. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a "land grab" kind of game.
    • Jeffrey Fletcher wrote:

... Some have made some significant gains in territory, but nothing too drastic I don't think. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a "land grab" kind of game.
      I concur with your assessment of the game (also the concerns re:Venice).

I have grabbed the most land - a mixture of conquer and colony.
      But the current resource needs for building/upgrading/troops, remains an impediment to my expansion.
      While frustrating as a country leader - it is also a boon to the stability of a longer term game.
      The impending changes to workshop level 1 costs will assist everyone I think, but will not speed the game very much at this stage.

Now we can just hope that we do not suffer any more glitches on our explorers, etc, and the game should progress nicely.

ROOM FOR MORE ASPIRANTS.
      I am Deaf_Eye_Ant (Say it quickly ...lol). Greetings from the land downunder.

• The first Balance of Power round ended a few days ago and the winner is...EZ Dolittle.
      Congratulations EZ!
      I meant to post a few days ago but its been a busy week.
      This was a nice, slower paced premium round with no Ducat spending. I think we all feel the game ended prematurely, but to be fair EZ had a commanding point lead on the rest of us. Next round we will have more time to throw our mighty empires at one another.

Btw I really enjoyed the flavorful posts!

Here are the top five spots:

EZ Dolittle - Brandenburg

Wolvershin - France

Deaf_Eye_Ant - Novgorod

Jeffrey Fletcher - England

Axel Oxensteina - Venice

Deaf_Eye_Ant and Jeffrey were only separated by a single point...ouch! Axel lost his capital to an A.I. Papacy. What did you say to vex the Pope, Axel?

Look for news on Balance of Power 2 sometime in early to mid January. We will put our heads together and come with a fresh rule set.

Happy Holidays and thanks for a great round!
    • Hi guys n gals, I'm almost back in another couple of weeks, so rather than say I'm in on the next one, I am likely if its after 1/3/17 . EZ will vouch for me :evil: as I moderated a game back in September on a simple role play
      model that was in my view a good first grouping. Due to the fact I know a lot of changes have occurred I'd rather join a group of stalwarts than moderate. The one other thing I'd like to see as a rule is players that go inactive are booted by moderator one news day after the coup d tat article of abandonment. And this is why the AI's actually do better than all of us game geniuses think, I personally during this self imposed quiet period still had a game going and it still amazingly had 4 players left active It was a newbies game and I had no diplo communications so sorry I didn't feel guilty abandoning that one on day 2 thought incognito was rolled out but it wasn't. But I came back 40 days later in about 11 th in points and was #3 in 5 days of very short sessions. Just saying booting them is the sane thing to do oh and as a moderator or founder of a group type, and because I am a :evil: thinker I believe it can be used as a strategy by an "ally" for ready made reinforcements once the real war starts (player comes back why?) oh to participate in the war that just broke out lol.

Long and short boot all inactive players