Myself and Wolvershin have been talking at length on how to create a style of game that is more to our liking. Hopefully we will attract like minded individuals. These are our ideas so far:
1) Ducat Free - This type of game seems to be gaining popularity. We are not entirely against ducats (Bytro needs to make money afterall.) However, we feel that a ducat free game is more likely to result in a game where more players feel that they have a chance and stay interested in the game long term.
2) Premium Game - It may seem contrary to being ducat free, but we want players who are "invested" in the game. Also, we acknowledge that Bytro probably isn't too crazy about the trend of ducat free games. We also desire to use some of the premium features like elite AI.
3) Required Player Rank 2 - At the risk of seeming "snobbish" we want this to be a requirement. Check the list of players in any game and you will see a significant number of level one players with 0% progress toward level 2 who are inactive. We just want to see some sign of commitment to the game rather than players who join on a whim and then decide that the game is not for them.
4) Non Aggression Limits - 5/2 days for no attacks on players/AI respectively. This will hopefully encourage some early development and slow down the rapid "land grab" style of play.
5) 15 Players, Country Assignment by Choice - We feel it necessary to give players room to grow. We also would like to encourage players to spread out a bit and not bump into each other too early in the game.
There are some other ideas for new games being tossed around.
Some, including myself, are interested in using the random new world map. Right now, there seems to be some issues with that, or that it is not accessible unless you are a Frontline Pioneer. Whatever the case, we may have to pass on that for now.
Also, Captain Crook is promoting what I call a "Coalition" rule to help contain players that are winning by a large margin. I will encourage him to explain the details of that here so that it is done properly. It is certainly worth a look.
Possibly there are other ideas out there. We have had others that did not make the list. I, for one, feel the need to keep the list of special rules as short as possible. Trying to "over legislate" tends to make folks resistant or even rebellious. I am hopeful that we can find like minded players that will at least try to abide by the "spirit" of the rules we agree on even if there are oversights that can be exploited.
The game has not yet been created. For now, we are simply trying to find interested players and start some discussion before we proceed. Please respond to this thread if you are interested or have comments.